Debit/ATM Card Fraud
As debit cards gain popularity as a method of payment in retail transactions, criminals are hard at work trying to find ways to misuse this technology. Here are some simple precautions to use to help protect your card and your account information:
- Always keep your card in the same location so you will notice it if it is missing.
- Don’t enter your PIN at an ATM or point of sale terminal in view of others.
- Never let anyone use your card and do not share your PIN with anyone else.
- Contact the bank immediately if your card is lost or stolen.
- Keep your receipts and verify your transactions against your bank statement.
- Don’t leave blank spaces on sales slips that can be filled in later by others. Draw a line through them, including the tip line on restaurant slips.
- Do not use an ATM if there is anything unusual looking about the machine.
- Always be alert and report any suspicious activity to the bank.